Laurens High School 1955 Laurens Middle School 2007
History of Laurens Middle School
Centrally located on a 17 acre tract of land, the facilities were completed in 1955 and served as Laurens High School until 1972.
Laurens Junior High School was founded in 1970, and served grades 8 and 9. It was originally located on Green Street in the Sanders High School Building, now known as Sanders Middle School. When the high school students moved into their new facility in the fall of 1972, 7th and 8th grade junior high students moved into the present facility which was renamed Laurens Junior High School.
Big changes began in 2001, a 6th grade program was started and the school was renamed Laurens Middle School. In the fall of 2002 the district's Montessori program expanded to the middle school level and became part of the Laurens Middle School community. Over the next two years the Montessori program continued to grow and now serves students in the 6th through 8th grade.
As Laurens Middle School looks to the future we honor the past. In 2004 the school's colors where changed back to the original colors of blue and gold. The Academic Excellence in Athletics award has been named in honor of King Dixon, a 1955 graduate of the school. During the 2007 awards day ceremony, Bill Ramey, a past principal and educator was honored. The Principal"s Award given to the student with the highest GPA will now be known as the Bill Ramey Award.
To reach the stated mission of developing a community of productive, independent learners for a changing world, LMS has instituted many educational innovations. Some of the offerings are: single gender classroom environments, an affective comprehensive literacy program, two state-of-the-art computer labs, and a virtual school program for advanced math students.
As in the past, academic, athletic, fine arts and other extra-curricular groups continue to bring favorable recognition to the school and community.