Many, many years ago just outside the town of Laurens, South Carolina, there was a tavern that was surrounded by hickory trees. Because of this landmark, the town of New Market became known as Hickory Tavern. Schools in Hickory Tavern were originally operated in churches in the area.
In 1913, a two-story school house was built and combined all schools together. Then, in 1928, a new brick structure was erected and Hickory Tavern School became an accredited high school. The school operated with grades 1 - 12 until 1971 when a new consolidated high school was built near Laurens. At this time, the school became known as Hickory Tavern Elementary and educated students from grades 1 - 8.
The school was severely damaged by fire in 1990. The spirit, work and cooperation of the residents of the community resulted in rebuilding. Some time later, kindergarten was added. In 2001, the school was split into an elementary and middle school sharing the same campus.