Gray Court-Owings Middle School
Library Media Center
"The road to knowledge begins with the turn of a page."
Mission Statement: The mission of the Gray Court-Owings Middle School Media Center is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information by creating a dynamic, enthusiastic, student-centered media program. This goal is accomplished by:
- providing informational services and quality resources in all formats to support the individual needs of our students and teachers.
- promoting reading, listening, communicating, and viewing for informational and recreational enjoyment.
- collaborating with other educators to design curriculum-related strategies for authentic learning experiences.
- creating a welcoming environment that is physically and intellectually accessible for the whole learning community.
Hours of Operation: During the school year, the Library Media Center is open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Each week, students visit the media center to check-out books or to work on research projects. A research lab with a Promethean Board and seventeen computers is available for classroom use.
"We should not see print and electronic literature as in competition, but rather in conversation. The more voices that join in, the richer the dialogue is likely to be."
--N. Katherine Hayles
- Volunteens: Students in grades 6-8 volunteer to work in the media center.
- South Carolina Junior Book Award: Students read at least five books from the list of selected nominees and vote for their favorite titles in March.
- Book Club: Students meet daily for thirty minutes in the media center to read and to discuss age-appropriate novels.